TRAILOKYA BAUDDHA MAHASANGHA SAHAYAKA GANA CENTRE HOSTEL

Nagpur, Maharashtra, India

In 1953 an active leader of India’s vast untouchable castes, converted to Buddhism, followed by millions of his followers, seeking a new life bereft of the stigma of impurity. The Mahavihara, a Buddhist temple, is the headquarters of a trust, formed by erstwhile untouchables, inspired by Dr. Ambedkar and his students Sangharakshita and Dharmachari Lokamitra to lift themselves from untouchability and economic depression. The trust executes social work amongst poor communities in areas of health, education and women’s empowerment. An unobtrusive building, suited to its humble industrial neighborhood was built to promote these purposes on the banks of river Ramnadi.

LocationNagpur, Maharashtra, India

Built Up Area1200 Square Meters

Site Area2.25 Acre

Completion2000

Client

Landscape Design : CCBA Designs , Pune

Interior Design : CCBA Designs, Pune

 

Prime Contractor

Services

Photos

Ramprasad Akkisetti

Design Team

Prof. Christopher Benninger  and Madhav Joshi

Awards